Friday, March 11, 2016

Gratitude: Notes from Readers & Librarians

   *My daughter in Jamestown, Virginia, February 2016. Photo by Emily Taylor

The writing world is a funny place. When you first decide to write a book, the hardest part is the actual writing of the book. But once the book is written, there is an entire sea of other challenges/opportunities to navigate: getting published, getting your book distributed to bookstores, libraries and readers, and then getting people to read the book.  It's a lot. And whether you are traditionally published or self-published the process is harder than one would expect.

Which is why notes from readers or librarians who have read and loved your book mean so much to an author.  Recently, I've received two notes out of the blue. One from a reader of my YA contemporary story, THE LAST DANCE, which is told from alternating POVs (points of view) of Kellen (Q) and Ivy. The note said in part:


"(Kiki's) book brought emotions. I felt like I was there standing right next to Miss Ivy Ly. The perspective change is amazing and made me want to curl up in a ball and... maybe cuss Q out a bit at times or get up and just start shouting with happiness."


That is *exactly* what an author wants a reader to feel: emotions!


And the other note was from a middle school librarian who had just read THE MIDNIGHT SPY. She said in part: 


"I just finished reading your book and LOVED IT. As a MS librarian I read a LOT of YA and Middle grade books. I COULD NOT PUT YOUR BOOK DOWN. I read it in one day. My laundry is backed up but it was WORTH IT!"


It's hard to describe the feeling you get when messages like that arrive in your inbox, but if I had to sum it up in one word, it would be: GRATITUDE. Thank you to all my readers and to librarians for making our books available! 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kiki Hamilton, Author | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig